Annexes sometimes referred to as ‘Granny Annexes’ are designed to fit the functionality of a home away from home. A small, independent space that is often optimised for storage, while encompassing everything that the main property would have to be conducive with self-contained living; usually offering a bedroom, living room, kitchen, and bathroom.
These small spaces are often geared around smart functionality and are particularly popular for housing elderly relatives (where the name ‘Granny Annexe’ derived) or family caregivers in a separate residence with the reassurance of being within proximity to the main house.
This additional space can also be helpful for several other reasons, whether that is for housing visiting friends and family, self-contained space for children that are soon to be first-time buyers or even to lease as residential space.
Adding an annexe to your property is a great idea, here are 5 reasons why:
- Low-cost living – Annexes are extremely popular as an affordable alternative to places of retirement for elderly relatives. Providing family residency on your land comes with minimal costs in comparison to the alternative, more traditional housing options. Bespoke designs ensure the most cost-efficient process for the construction of the annexe and the monthly bills, thereafter, including possible qualifications for reduced council tax payments.
- Luxury layout – Putting luxury into independent living. Done right, there are several ways that the layout of a smaller property or annexe can remain luxurious. Work with our team to develop bespoke features that complement areas of the build and enhance the openness of the property.
- Immaculate design – Annexes need to be designed consciously to maximise the use of the limited space. Our team are qualified and experienced professionals, specialising in the delivery of immaculate designs that ensure the thoughtful optimisation of small spaces. We know how to make a house feel like a home from open planned living and kitchen areas to beautiful bathrooms.
- Increased property value – The multi-functional use of this popular property feature will see that there is a 20-30% property value increase in some cases. Used correctly as a key marketing opportunity, the attractive prospect of a fully functional year-round independent living space is highly desirable. As this type of property is so suitable for family living, it is very rare to have a well-done property with a fully equipped annexe up for sale, so when the opportunity arises they are extremely popular, and can therefore be valued at a much higher price point.
- Storage and style – Most annexes are built with smart storage in mind. The additional out-house space can be utilised not only for additional independent living space but for storage of out-house items. Working with our team to develop bespoke designs that suit your additional living requirements, you will be able to factor in smart storage options for day-to-day appliances, cupboards and drawers that not only help optimise your immediately available space but enable the storage of non-necessity items that have no place in the main household.
Things you’ll need to think about before you build an annexe
- Planning Permission
- Floor plans
- Mains Services & Connections
- Styles Available
- Budgets & Costings
- Lease options available
How CDMS can help
Building a custom annexe or garden room with us at CDMS Sussex ensures that you’re working with specialists that care about delivering your bespoke designs with quality in mind. We will ensure that your outbuilding is fully fitted for year-round use, including suitable connections to electricity and proficient insulation.
Projects requiring planning consent will see that our team manage submissions and building control, so you have the peace of mind that everything is taken care of.
So, whether you’re looking to build an annexe, garden office, games room or studio, get in touch to find out how we can help.
Telephone 01444 848278